Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tubby's

Stop 16 on the burger tour:  Tubby's



Overall Score:  81(B-)


BurgerSidesService/ExpValueSCORE
John59.5767.580
Russell6285883
Mark6373780

Russell


Finally our long awaited visit to Tubby's is here.  I was really looking forward to this stop because it had been years since I had a burger at Tubby's.  I really didn't know what to expect this trip because I had heard many mixed opinions from people who had been there recently.  The visit started off great.  The first thing I saw when I walked in was framed Tennessee jerseys of Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis.  We are off to a great start!!!

The good start didn't last long though.  I will address the negative first.  The service was pretty bad.  John and I got our burgers and were half done before Mark got his burger.  No, we do not wait on anyone to eat!  I'm sure Mark will rant about this, so I will not go in to detail.  


The burger was much better than the service.  The veggies were great and the burger had a grilled flavor.  The burger was big and my bun was falling apart after the first bite.  We killed a tree with all of the napkins that we used (one of the indicators that Mark looks for in a good burger).  


We have been spoiled with the number of really good burgers that we have had on this tour.  We will all be burger snobs now for the rest of our lives.  With that being said, Tubby's offers a pretty darn good burger if you are looking for such on the North Shore.  My advice though is to keep going past Tubby's and head to Merv's.



Overall Score:  83(B)


Mark


Once the word was out that Tubby's was next on our list, we received feedback from several folks; some reviews were positive and some were negative.  After today's visit, I can see why.

Tubby's is a restaurant built around a burger.  And what a burger it is.  In fact, it may be the largest one I've had this summer, and that is saying a lot.  If I were to guess, I'd say this patty comes in at close to the half pound mark and has a great flavor to it.  Tons of onion, lettuce, pickle and tomato between two colossal buns round out this burger.  Fries were big, hand cut wedges served piping hot and the tea was spot on.  So based on the burger alone, I'm pretty happy.

And now the bad news; the service in this place might be the worst of all sixteen burger joints on the Tour.  You order yourself, which isn't such a big deal, except if your name is Mark apparently.  John and Russell were halfway through their meal before mine was brought out and instead of an apology, I was told that they gave MY burger to one of the other six Marks sitting inside, which seemed unlikely as there were only a handful of patrons in the dining room.  Honestly, the staff just wasn't that friendly; it's possible I could be overreacting, but waiting far too long on my food does that to me.

Value for this place is borderline; it's obvious they cut corners on the little stuff, like the ketchup which had a funky cheap taste to it.  You'll get out of here spending less than ten bucks, but this is unlikely to be one of my top five choices for the money.

Overall Score: 80 (B-)





John


I'm sorry folks, but I just didn't feel the love for Tubby's so I don't have a whole lot to say.

 Although the exterior is attractive, I found it rather dark and a little grungy inside.  The signed Peyton Manning jersey couldn't overcome the poor impression for me.  The deck is much better, but I could have done without the wasp.  I know we are looking for “nothing fancy,” but that doesn't mean it can't be pleasant.  Just check out Zarzour's or Marsha's.

To the burger:  we agreed it was the biggest one we've been served so far, but you know, size isn't everything.  Although it had a really nice flavor, there was something about it that was lacking.  Maybe not juicy enough.  Or maybe not the best beef to start with.  Hard to put my finger on it, but it just didn't stack up to the top tier burgers in my book.  Bun was actually too large and I came close to losing control of the sandwich about half way through, but I powered on to the end.

Service is non-existent except they do bring you the burger instead of screaming out your name like some places we know.  But they didn't bring Mark's out with mine and Russell's and as I have noted before, that is a pet peeve of mine.

Price is under $10.00.  Even though the burger was large, I'm just not sure they are buying premium grade beef and given the lack of service, I can't say it is an outstanding value. 


Lemon bonus  = I'm going to reluctantly give them one point.  True, they have lemons, but you have to get them yourself and the bonus is to be given "if tea is served with lemon."  One point deduction.  They didn't have any tongs to retrieve the lemon so everyone is sticking their nasty fingers in there.  One point deduction.

Overall Score: 80 (B-)

Last stop on the tour:  Magoo's


Tubby's Real Burgers on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. There's a good burger place down the hill from Tubby's called Mike's Hole in the Wall that makes a damn fine burger that for me ranks just behind Tremont and Kevin Browns in Ooltewah.

    ReplyDelete