Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Merv's

Stop 9 on the burger tour:  Merv's



Overall Score: 99.2(A+)


BurgerSidesService/ExpValueSCORE
John69.39.99.99.598.6
Russell70101010100
Mark701091099

Mark

Wow.  I knew going into this tour that Merv's was probably going to be the one to beat.  After our visit today, all I can say is that if there is a better burger in town, I would love to have it.  This burger is just perfect.  Nice, soft, fresh sesame seed bun, great veggies (particularly the onion) and a fantastic large patty combine to make a great burger!  The fries were just as good, golden brown cut fries cooked to perfection and served nice and hot.  Sweet tea was right on the money.  These folks claim to have Tennessee's Greatest Hamburger, and quite frankly, I believe them.  And all this for under $10. The only reason I knocked the service down one point was because I ran out of tea once and had to wait a bit for a refill. Otherwise Walker and Kyle took very good care of us.  I honestly can't believe folks are spending twice that much for a terrible burger, service and atmosphere just down the road at Sofa King.  Trust me, this is the place to go.  It's going to be hard for someone to knock this from the top spot.     Overall Score: 99 (A+)

John

I woke up this morning knowing how it was going to go down. And sure enough, I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Day after all the presents have been opened. It has been the best, but now what do I have to look forward to? Valentine’s Day? That’s just depressing. I wanted to save Merv’s for last, but Mark (aka “The Parliamentarian”) insisted that the rules be followed to the letter.

I know Russell is letting his perfect scores speak for themselves, but I’m pretty sure Mark has laid out the case for why Merv’s is the best so I won’t get too far into the weeds. As Mark said, if there is a better burger, I want to eat it. Chef Kyle, who perfectly cooked the burgers as owner Stacy taught him to, said the beef came in this morning and the cow was eating hay yesterday. I believe him. Love the sesame seed bun. Hands down the best fries. Kyle and our server Walker were delightful and the décor fits our motto to a T. I gave it the same Value score as Armando’s even though it was a little more expensive because I think the quality of the ingredients was higher.

The sign above the bar says it all.



Lemon bonus: 2 (Although they had the packets as was the case with Southern and Ankar’s, I’m giving Merv’s an extra .5 because Walker apologized for the packets and said she was working on Stacy to start providing real lemons.)  Overall Score: 98.6(A+)

Russell

Enough Said!!!  Overall Score: 100 (A+)





Next stop on the tour:  Urban Stack


Merv's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Why do you not list the address. I reside in Knoxville and I read about you on Roadfood.com. I hve no idea where Merv's is located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question, and the reply is simply that we didn't think about it..! We will be sure to include the address from now on, so thanks for your suggestion! And here is the address to Merv's for you:

      713 Mountain Creek Road, Chattanooga 37405

      And here is their phone number...you may want to call first as I believe they have had to close for a couple of weeks to repair some flood damage:

      (423) 877-0221

      Delete